12th ESPID Research Masterclass
Friday & Saturday, 29-30th May 2020
Application Deadline Extended: 16th December, 2019
The ESPID Research Masterclass (ERMC) is a closed, seminar type of forum for active paediatric infectious diseases (PID) research groups in Europe. The research performed can involve ‘bench-type’ basic and translational research, as well as ‘bed-side’ clinical studies (e.g. observational, case-control, randomized controlled, interventional) and epidemiological studies in any area of paediatric infectious diseases.
- Friday, 29th May 2020, 13:30-18:30
- Saturday, 30th May 2020, 09:00-14:00
Please note lunch is only provided on the Saturday. Dinner will be included on the Friday evening. The organizing team strongly encourages research groups to attend the entire ESPID annual meeting in Rotterdam to be held 25th – 29th May 2020.
Room: Coolsingel Suite
Why should I apply for the ERMC ?
The primary aim of ERMC is to provide better opportunities for young researchers to present their studies and discuss their research with other junior colleagues as well as with European research group leaders. During the Masterclass, the junior researchers will be trained how to present their data, ask questions or chair a session. They will receive guidelines for scientific discussion in a seminar type of positive atmosphere. The second aim of the seminar is to provide the researchers a better view of recent PID research in Europe and also to stimulate discussions of new research collaborations among ESPID members.
Who is eligible to participate in the ERMC?
The ERMC is based on attendance of research teams. The research groups should apply their attendance as a group of one (1) senior and maximum three (3) junior researchers (maximum group size is four (4) persons). The senior researcher in the group should be an ESPID member.
- ESPID will waive the annual meeting registration fee for all junior participants, providing that they are ESPID members. Senior members are expected to cover the costs of their attendance from their own budget.
- All juniors may choose to apply to the Annual Meeting Travel Award during the submission of their abstracts in the application process. The Annual Meeting Travel Award will support up to 7 Juniors. These successful award applicants will benefit from free registration, travel and accommodation subject to the award’s regulations and reimbursement procedures. Juniors who are not successful will be expected to cover the costs of their attendance from their own budget. For more information regarding the ESPID Annual Meeting Travel Award, please click here.
How do I submit a group application?
- Applications for ERMC are submitted via the online submission system.
- Application Deadline Extended: Monday, December 16, 2019
- Abstract Guidelines:
- A short summary (max. one page, A4) of current research interests of the group
- A list of 10 recent publications from the group
- A brief CV (max 2 pages) from each junior member including current position, degrees, publications, presentations at (inter)national meetings, and number of years spend on research
- Abstracts* from individual junior members
- A list of the participants (1 senior, max. 3 juniors) with their e-mail addresses
- A one slide power point presentation of the team
* The abstract should not exceed 280 words in total and must be structured into separate sections. The format of ERMC is well suited to present work-in-progress resulting in getting valuable feedback and input from other research groups how to approach the research question, as well as discussing the study design with senior research leaders in paediatric infectious diseases and obtain their expert opinion.
The following format for the individual abstract should be used:
- Title not exceeding 16 words
- Authors and affiliations
- Research question including context and purpose of the study
- Methods including rational why a particular method was chosen to answer the research question
- Results can be ranging from work in progress, to preliminary data, to more conclusive results
- Conclusion including problems encountered, adjustment of methods and work plan for the next year.
Following submission of the research team’s application, each proposed speaker will get an email with a link to directly submit their abstract. Each junior member will need to submit an abstract via the link by using their account details. The application is not final until the junior member’s abstracts are submitted. The deadline to submit the abstracts connected to your ERMC application has been extended to December 16th. Abstracts received after this date will not be accepted.
Deadline for all applications and their abstracts to be submitted has been extended to the 16th of December 2019 .
Please note that 1-2 of junior members from each team should be ready to give an oral presentation of their research.